awesome Small House Ideas James Dolan House (1894)

James Dolan House (1894)

96 South Union Street, Burlington, Vermont USA • Now operating as offices with a third-floor apartment, I’m told it was once a brothel.

This single-family Queen Anne style, eaves-front house, dominated by a large round tower filling the right half of the front facade, faces west on South Union Street. The 2 x 4 bay shingle and clapboard sided wood frame structure rises from the redstone foundation to the steeply pitched gable roof.

While the roof was originally all covered by slate, the main eaves-front gable has been covered by asphalt shingles. The area with slate remaining has gray slate laid with a band of clipped shingles. The large tower is covered with plain wood shingles except for the first course on on second floor, which has sawtooth shingles. The finial-capped tower has a hip roof dormer extending from the front (west) side of its conical roof. The window in this dorrner and in the dormer protruding west from the main gable (which has cheeks which round into half circles before ending at the recessed sash) have multi-light windows. Most of the building is 1/1 windows, some of the exceptions being two fixed-sash stained glass windows and a set of replacement windows toward the back of the budding. One stained glass, a small elaborate window located on the right (south) side year beyond the tower, is a more recent (1987) sash designed with mountains and a sunset. The right (south) gable has a slate hood and a projecting gable toward the rear of the main gable which, contains a bow window below it. The gable of this bow window has fishscale shingles in the lower corners and a 3/1 window in the rear. A bay window on the left (north) side gable wall rises two stories and ends in a hip roof.

The porch on the left front facade has a full-width pediment filled with floral carvings which is held up by steel cornerposts. The front door consists of a large rectangular pane above two vertical panels. The two round arch openings above the porch look as if they originally enclosed a small sunporch. Now these two openings are filled with large fixed panes of glass.

The double-flue chimney is made of brick and has a corbelled top. The back (east) side of the building retains in basic shape of a 2-1/2 story building but has been altered with skylights, additional construction and at least one window replacement. The lot is flat and sits a few feet above the sidewalk. This house was built for James Dolan, who had a grocery business at 203-205 College Street called Dolan Bros. – From the NRHP application.

☞ This building is one of 136 contributing structures of the 280 acre Buell Street – Bradley Street Historic District, and has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places (#95001260), since November 13, 1995.

More Info: GeoHack: 44°28′45″N 73°12′31″W.

Posted by origamidon on 2012-10-01 22:03:17

Tagged: , conical•slate.roof , conical , slate roof , dormer , finial , roof , slate , NRHP , Buell Street – Bradley Street Historic District , National Register of Historic Places , 95001260 , NPS , National Park Service , 11/13/1995 , architecture , Slate Survey , 96 South Union Street , Burlington, Vermont USA , Burlington , Vermont , VT , USA , Chittenden County , Green Mountain State , 05401 , Don Shall , origamidon , square , sq

amazing Small House Design 08a 2756 Raymond Ave – English-Elizabethan (E)

08a 2756 Raymond Ave - English-Elizabethan (E)

Adams-Normandie Historic Preservation Overlay Zone (HPOZ)

We began our adventure to ANNA (Adams-Normandie Historic Preservation Overlay Zone) at our former favorite old haunt, La Barca, for Carne Asada and Carnitas Burritos. After a very unsatisfying lunch (they’ve gone down hill since we were last there several years ago) we headed into ANNA with a goal to photograph the Van Buren National Register Historic District.

Along the way we found some wonderful things: ghost signs, a house moved from the West Adams Heights neighborhood a few blocks away, two worn and aging grand dames on West Adams Boulevard, a wonderful hidden estate on Budlong (now sadly carved into apartments), and more than a few fabulous houses on Raymond and (of course) Van Buren.

01. Commercial Building, 1907 to 1913
1419 W 24th St
T. Widd’s Sub
“Dye Works and Trading Co.” reads the ghost sign. A little lower is, “Suits Dresses, and _____.”

02. Commercial Building, 1912 to 1920
1425 W 24th St
T. Widd’s Sub
The ghost signs here are a little harder to make out. “Napps Van_tio_aul” Below is, “Feed and Fuel,” which is a clue to it’s age. The later vertical sign attached to the front reads, “Storage & Moving.”

03. House, 1912 (Moved, remodeled and divided into apartments)
2401 Catalina St
Kenwood Park Tract
Possibly Dennis and Farwell
We know this house, because we first saw it in an early 1900’s promotion of a nearby tract called West Adams Heights. The house in the photo is reverse, but that wasn’t uncommon for the time. If it’s the same house (and we’re pretty sure it is), then it was built earlier and probably moved to this location in 1912, when the main streets around West Adams Heights were beginning to go commercial. After further investigation, if it turns out to be the same house, then it was probably built around 1905 by the architecture team of Dennis and Farwell. Anyone up for a friendly wager?

04. House, c. 1899
1514 W Adams Blvd
Montgomery Tract
The Tax Assessor’s Office indicate this stately Victorian was built in 1908. An obvious mistake. It’s not impossible, but highly doubtful the owners would commission a house in one of the most fashionable districts, in a style ten years out of date. It’s currently undergoing renovation. Lets hope it’s for the best.

05. House, 1899
1528 W Adams Blvd
Montgomery Tract
This faded Shingle Styled late Victorian Grand Dame recalls a bygone era. You can imagine just how proud the neighborhood must have been in it’s heyday. Now, most of it’s neighbors are gone, and these two houses at the corner of Juliette and West Adams Boulevard look a little . . . stranded.

06. House (Former Estate), 1908
2739 S Budlong Ave
Reeds Sub
The houses south of West Adams Boulevard on Juliette and Budlong are a strange collection, which appear to have been transported here and set down, jumbled without much thought or reason, or planning. Most of them are FUBAR, but it’s evident that most were designed for lots larger than the ones they now occupy. Perhaps they were in the path of the Santa Monica Freeway and saved (sort of). But, among this odd collection, on Budlong, is a large house set back far from the street, with a charming (but dilapidated) river rock wall and a massive Moreton Bay Fig. It’s a wonderful estate now converted to apartments. Who lived here? No idea, but the house seem familiar in a Maxim de Winter-Manderley sort of way. The shape, size, and style are indicative of an architecture team like Hunt and Burns or Hunt and Eager. Caroline Eve (a lovely name) was employed here as a domestic, according to the 1915 City Directory. If you know anything about this house, please leave a note. We’d love to know.

08. House, 1905
2756 Raymond Ave
Blaisdell and Weiss Tract
A fine example of a transitional English Styled (or Elizabethan as it was often called then, or sometimes Tudor) house as styles were moving from the Victorian to the Craftsman.

09. Repath Residence, 1907
2750 Raymond Ave
Blaisdell and Weiss Tract
According to the 1909 City Directory Chas. H. And Ruth M. Repath resided in this charming Craftsman Chalet home. Mr. Repath appears to have been a partner in Repath and MeGregor, Mechanical Engineers, located at 606 S Hill St. By 1915 a Mark B. Smith, Oil, was in residence. The house is asymmetrical, with mild chalet features.

10. Lang Residence, 1909
2749 Raymond Ave
Akin and Cass Sub
Transitional Victorian/Craftsman with Tudor elements.
Frank M. Tyler (Tyler and Company)
Even without pulling the property permits, we can confidently tell you this house was designed by Frank M. Tyler, and probably built on spec by Tyler and Company. It’s a typical, well-executed Tyler plan. Although this one was originally a single-family house. It was the home of Aug. T. Lang, President of the Iroquois Bottling Co, according to the 1909 City Directory.

11. Couch House, 1904
2744 Raymond Ave
Blaisdell and Weiss Tract
A solid and masculine Craftsman home. Notice the inventive support (or lack thereof) on the left side of the porch, and the charming widows weep. According to the 1909 City Directory, Geo S Couch was listed as living here.

12. Laupheimer House, 1907
2740 Raymond Ave
Blaisdell and Weiss Tract
The clean lines, strong porch column, asymmetrical facade, open gables, and especially the sideways double gable point to Hudson and Munsell as the architect of this beautiful Craftsman home. More investigation here is needed. It appears Mrs. Effie E Laupheimer was the resident here, according to the 1909 City Directory.

13. Montanya House, 1906
2734 Raymond Ave
Blaisdell and Weiss Tract
Mrs. Loretta de la Montanya is listed in the 1909 City Directory as residing in this charming Craftsman home, which is now unfortunately painted blue. Picture the creosote shingles, and the architecture pops! Again, the Hudson and Munsell hallmarks are present, so more investigation is needed.

14. Hood House, 1905
2729 Raymond Ave
Blaisdell and Weiss Tract
Mr. Walter T. Hook, in mining, may have been the first owner of this picturesque transitional Victorian/Craftsman. Although since it was built in 1905 and Mr. Hook is listed in the 1909 City Directory, he may not have been the original owner.

15. Foster House, 1906
2708/10 Raymond Ave
Blaisdell and Weiss Tract
A full-on Colonial among Craftsman homes. The way the windows line up on the south side of the house would indicate the house was always a duplex, however in the 1909 City Directory only one family is listed here. It was the home of Newton H Foster, purchasing agent for the Salt Lake Rte. (Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad, incorporated in 1901 by Senator Clark). Either the Fosters had no neighbors in 1909, or the house was carefully converted early on. Their domestic was a Ms. Clara Vance.

16. Osborne House, 1904/11
2703 Raymond Ave
Akin and Cass Sub
One of the earlier houses on Raymond, it’s obviously had some remodeling. The roof line is incorrect, and it’s now an apartment building. It’s pure Craftsman. According to the 1909 City Directory it was owned by Fredk (Frederick) J Osborne, Salesman for Haas, Baruch & Co. (Grocers). He must have done well, because he could afford an avant guarde house and a domestic in the name of Ms. Kate E McGovern.

17. Raymond House, 1907
1610 27th St
Blaisdell and Weiss Tract
To see this house as it should be, it takes a little imagination. Picture all the stucco removed, with natural shingles. It could be a gorgeous home, with a bit of elbow grease. According to the 1915 City Directory it was the home of Stephen S and Ruth Raymond. Mr. Raymond was a manager at the Fairfield Oil Co. I would guess the street name is merely coincidental.

18. Van Buren Historic District
National Register of Historic Places No. 89001103, 1989.
The gates are new. (An attempt to stave off urban blight). The street scape looks much like it would have when the neighborhood was new, which is one reason why it’s deserving of it’s National Register status. Most of the houses were built by the Los Angeles Building Company. Although most were built to the original owner’s specifications, some were built on speculation, which was typical in Los Angeles at the time.

19. The Furlong House, 1910, Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument No. 678.
2657 Van Buren Pl
West Adams Street Tract
Frank M. Tyler
Gracing the corner of 27th and Van Buren Place is the Furlong House, designed in the local vernacular, a transitional Victorian/Craftsman style, by prolific architect Frank M Tyler. The house is named for the second or third owner, Thomas J Furlong, who was the city clerk and treasurer for the city of Vernon, until the 1950’s. According to the 1915 city directory the home’s occupants were Shelly W and Bella Keiser, and were believed to live here 1910 to 1921. Mr. Keiser was in real estate and loans.

20. Bowen House, 1907
2651 Van Buren Pl
West Adams Street Tract
This straight-forward Craftsman sports clean lines and an a-symmetric facade. The windows are unfortunate, but it’s in great condition otherwise. The home was built for William Alvin and Grace D Bowen. Mr. Bowen was a successful attorney at Gray Barker and Bowen.

21. Minton House, 1904
2645 Van Buren Pl
West Adams Street Tract
One of the largest houses on the street, the facade of this Chalet-like Craftsman is imposing and strong. The bay window and dropping roof line help break up what otherwise could be a big box. The peaked window on the south side is charming. Clarence H Minton, Real Estate, is listed here in the 1905 City Directory.

22. Percy H. Clark House, 1903, Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument No. 672.
2633 Van Buren Pl
West Adams Street Tract
As a major developer in Los Angeles, and specifically the developer of this tract on Van Buren Pl, you’d assume the Clark House would be the largest, but it’s not. Instead this craftsman is sedate, with strong clean lines. The front box window is especially unusual. Mr. Clark, not to be confused with the many other Clarks along West Adams Boulevard, was a giant of the early Los Angeles real estate community.

23. Long House, 1904
2633 Van Buren Pl
West Adams Street Tract
Oath Long is listed in the 1904 City Directory as the resident of this lovely Craftsman house. It’s hipped roof is unusual for a style that favored open gables. The only gable appears directly above the entrance.

24. Hutchason-Cheap House, 1904
2627 Van Buren Pl
West Adams Street Tract
Ribbed siding, rather than shingles, the shape and size, and the charming front window make this Victorian/Craftsman house appear more Victorian than Craftsman. Small windows tucked up under the eaves in various places give it a whimsical touch. According to the 1905 City Directory this was the home of Dr. And Mrs. Willis E Hutchason, Mr. Hutchason being a dentist. Later, in the 1920’s and 30’s it was the home Albert and Alice Cheep (and 8 children), according to the 1935 Blue Book. In between, the 1909 City Directory a lists Mrs. Blanch Trimble.

25. Lane House, 1904
2621 Van Buren Pl
West Adams Street Tract
The front bay window and a-symmetrical gable over the door provide a focal point for this well-crafted Craftsman house. It was the home of J. Lansing and Linda H Lane in the 1904 City Directory.

26. Daniels House, 1903
2624 Van Buren Pl
West Adams Street Tract
Somewhere under the unfortunate Sear’s siding is a stately late Victorian, transitional Craftsman, with Colonial touches, ready to blossom. The portico, with strong columns, was built to impress. In the 1904 City Directory Dr. And Jrs. Jared W Daniels were the residents.

27. Guthery House, 1906
2638 Van Buren Pl
West Adams Street Tract
Charlotte Guthery was the owner of this beautiful transitional Victorian/Craftsman 2-1/2 story house, which recalls what was called in Los Angeles at the time as the Elizabethan Style. The widows weep was closed in with windows early on, but otherwise it’s picture perfect.

28. Greenbaum House, 1906
2638 Van Buren Pl
West Adams Street Tract
Textiles appeared to have been profitable in early Los Angeles, as Abraham Greenbaum, a salesman for the Harris and Frank Clothing Store, was able to afford this luxurious Craftsman. Later, in the 1909 City Directory, Simon S. Spier, Millinery, is listed.

29. Leeds House, 1903
2642 Van Buren Pl
West Adams Street Tract
Nestled in among the trees (and hard to photograph) is the lovely transitional Victorian/Craftsman owned by W. R. And Anna F. Leeds from 1903 to 1909. Mr. Leeds was an attorney. From 1909 to the 1920’s George D. And Elizabeth R. Cadwalader made I their home. Mr. Cadwalader was involved with the general machinery at the Los Angeles Brick Co.

30. Corelyou House 1905
2650 Van Buren Pl
West Adams Street Tract
George A. Corelyou was in real estate. The home is mostly Craftsman, with just a few transitional hold overs, and in fine shape, except for the unfortunate window replacements. The front door and sidelights are it’s most attractive and unusual feature.

31. McKinney House, 1906
2656 Van Buren Pl
West Adams Street Tract
This was one of the houses built on speculation by the Los Angeles Building Company. The architect is unknown, but more than likely it was designed by someone like Frank M. Tyler, by Tyler and Company, which built many houses on spec. It’s a charming and well-planned transitional Victorian/Craftsman home. The half-timbering lean toward a Tudor or Elizabethan Style.

Posted by Kansas Sebastian on 2013-04-28 00:33:19

Tagged: , Kansas Sebastian , Los Angeles , California , Historic West Adams , WAHA , Adams-Normandie Historic Preservation Overlay Zone , HPOZ , Historic Houses , Historic Neighborhoods , Architecture

amazing Small House Ideas Ipswich, Customs House

Ipswich, Customs House

Erected in 1844 for the Corporation of Ipswich close to the site of the earlier custom house, it was designed by J M Clark an Ipswich architect. It is an imposing red brick building with grey gault brick dressings. The main frontage faces south towards the docks and comprises a tall single storey above a high arcaded basement with brick rustications and a stone blocking course, a central projecting Tetrastyle Tuscan portico with a pediment with sculptured tympanum and end pavilions marked by grey brick rustications. The central portico is approached by a Palladian staircase with a double flight of stone balustraded steps on each side and a deep semi-circular domed arch in the centre, with rusticated brick voussoirs and keystone and a small central doorway with massive rustications. A central panelled and studded door with a semi-circular arched head and stone architrave has 2 flanking Venetian style windows with stone surrounds under the portico. The outer windows are tall casements with stone shouldered architraves, pulvinated friezes and pediments. The end pavilions have windows with pilasters and cornices surmounted by semi-circular, domed recesses with shell ornamentation. A string course runs at window sill level with panelled brick aprons beneath the windows. The east and west fronts each have 2 storeys above the arcaded basement 3 window range, casements, in grey brick surrounds. The north front has 4 storeys. 8 window range, double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in grey brick surrounds on the 2nd and 3rd storeys and set in recessed brick panels with semi-circular heads on the ground and lst storeys. The centre part of rusticated brick breaks forward slightly with a semi-circular arched doorway and fanlight surmounted by a Venetian style window with grey brick rusticated pilasters, cornice and a voussoired brick arch. At the east end a pavilion of one window range breaks forward slightly and at the west end there is a tall square tower with 3 storeys of open arches and one with blocked arches surmounted by a clock on each of the faces, all set in recessed brick panels. The roof is pantiled with a wide overhanging eaves soffit on brackets which is carried out ever the portico and pediment and is repeated on the tower. EH Listing

Posted by Clanger’s England on 2013-07-21 21:08:08

Tagged: , Ipswich , Suffolk , www.englishtowns.net , LBS275488 , customs house , ET , Grade II star listed building , England , EBI , EBB

Great Small House Ideas 1912 Bungalow Cottage

1912 Bungalow Cottage

Source: Ladies Home Journal
Image from the Antique Home & Style collection.

Posted by American Vintage Home on 2009-06-04 01:22:00

Tagged: , 1912 , 1910s , small houses , bungalow , craftsman , style , design , architecture , house , home

awesome Small House Design photomontage

photomontage

taken in the small beautiful garden in the Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre. i just stitched the two views of both ends of the small path in the garden together.

The Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre is housed in Blocks S61 and S62 of the former Whitfield Barracks where Kowloon Park now stands in the centre of Tsim Sha Tsui. Constructed around 1910, the blocks were used by the British Army until the land was released to the Hong Kong Government in 1967 and made available for recreation and leisure purposes; they then served as the temporary premises of the Hong Kong Museum of History from 1983 to 1998 before the new museum complex was built in Tsim Sha Tsui East. Following a restoration project designed to preserve the historic features of the military buildings while upgrading the facilities and creating space for adaptive use to meet complex exhibition needs, the buildings are now used for heritage education and publicity. (www.amo.gov.hk/en/hdc.php)

Posted by Kai-Ming :-)) on 2015-12-13 12:27:08

Tagged: , photomontage , Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre , Hong Kong , Kai-Ming , kmwhk , Tsim Sha Tsui , collage , creative , photoshop , Sony , E6533 , ISO 50 , layers , tree , buiding , musuem , Kowloon Park , 1910 , art , glass wall

www.000webhost.com