Great Small House Ideas Rotterdam, Cube Houses #10

Rotterdam, Cube Houses #10

(best seen in Large)

2 august, 2009

Kubuswoningen, or cube houses, are a set of innovative houses built in Rotterdam and Helmond in The Netherlands, designed by architect Piet Blom in 1984. The houses in Rotterdam are located on Overblaak Street, and beside the Blaak Subway Station. Blom tilted the cube of a conventional house 45 degrees, and rested it upon a hexagon-shaped pylon. There are 38 small cubes and two so called ‘super-cubes’, all attached to each other.

As residents are disturbed so often by curious passers-by, one owner decided to open a "show cube", which is furnished as a normal house, and is making a living out of offering tours to visitors.

The houses contain three floors:

ground floor entrance
first floor with living room and open kitchen
second floor with two bedrooms and bathroom
top floor which is sometimes used as a small garden
The walls and windows are angled at 54.7 degrees. The total area of the apartment is around 100 square meters, but around a quarter of the space is unusable because of the walls that are under the angled ceilings.

Wikipedia

Posted by tokek belanda (very busy) on 2010-01-10 18:17:59

Tagged: , Holland , Zuid-Holland , Rotterdam , Blaak , Piet , Blom , modern , moderne , architecture , architektuur , cube , houses , house , kubuswoningen , kubus , woningen , 1984 , Overblaak , Blaakse , Bos , 로테르담 , オランダ , ロッテルダム , 荷蘭 , 鹿特丹 , 荷兰 , Голландия , Роттердам

awesome Small House Design A Home on Powers Ferry Road / Atlanta, GA – January, 2013

A Home on Powers Ferry Road / Atlanta, GA - January, 2013

I watched this one being built and it intrigued me from the start. A terrible place to stop and take a photo from the car. At long last I pulled up a small street just opposite and shot this from the sidewalk.

Posted by steveartist on 2013-01-08 22:47:20

Tagged: , Sony Cyber-shot RX100 , homes , houses , mansions , architecture , home design , Atlanta, GA , Steve Frenkel , 2013

Great Small House Design St Andrew, Beelsby, Lincolnshire

St Andrew, Beelsby, Lincolnshire

This is the church of St Andrew in the small village of Beelsby on the north eastern edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds. A glorious January day slowly moved towards dusk when I took this image. A strange setting for a church, tucked away from the village and the only access seems to be a long uphill flight of stone steps between two houses on the main street.

Then the first thing you notice when you walk up the steps is that there are no head stones – they have all been removed and some placed around the back of the church. Although there is one ‘recent’ burial right in the corner of the freshly mowed grass.

One of the many hundreds of village churches in Lincolnshire, and just one of many ‘designs’ of churches in the area.

Posted by Paul Simpson Photography on 2015-01-25 14:10:07

Tagged: , Church , Beelsby , St Andrew , North East Lincolnshire , religion , religious , burial , tower , spire , village church , rural , Paul Simpson Photography , photo of , photos of , image of , images of , grass , stone building , history , historic , Sony a77

amazing Small House Plan Plan #333-The Tamassee – Customer Submitted Photos

Plan #333-The Tamassee - Customer Submitted Photos

www.dongardner.com/plan_details.aspx?pid=280

Private bedrooms and open gathering spaces make this three bedroom country home perfect for the active young family. Front and back porches extend relaxed living space while arched, gabled windows and elegant interior columns refine the country mood.

With access to the large screened porch and openness to the smart kitchen and skylit breakfast area, the great room is ideal for gathering family and friends. Note the built-in cabinets on either side of the fireplace.

A cathedral ceiling adds drama to the large master bedroom which opens to the deck with optional spa. Skylights brighten the luxurious master bath with separate shower, whirlpool tub, and double bowl vanities.

Posted by Donald Gardner Architects on 2014-08-12 16:14:50

Tagged: , Tamassee , 333 , coastal , country , low country , interior , exterior , small , ranch , one story , house plans , home plans , floor plans , blueprint , Donald Gardner , house , home , house design , home design

amazing Small House Design Mount Gambier. Llandovery mansion built in 1878 behind the Methodist church for a lcaol oat and flour miller. Now a bed and breakfast establishment called Colhurst House.

Mount Gambier. Llandovery mansion built in 1878 behind the Methodist church for a lcaol oat and flour miller. Now a bed and breakfast establishment called  Colhurst House.

Lieutenant James Grant aboard the Lady Nelson sighted and named Mt Gambier in 1800 after a Lord of the Admiralty. The first white man to traverse the area was Stephen Henty of Portland in 1839 when he sighted the Blue Lake. He returned with cattle and stockmen in 1841. He later claimed that had he known the lake and volcano he had discovered in 1839 was in SA he would have immediately applied for an 1839 Special Survey. But Henty thought he was squatting on land in NSW and he was not an official SA settler so the government ordered him off the land in 1844. Thus the first official white settler of the South East and the Mt Gambier district became Evelyn Sturt, brother to Captain Charles Sturt, who took up an occupational license in March 1844 and a property he named Compton just north of the present city. In April 1844 Governor Grey and a party of assistants including the Assistant Surveyor General Thomas Burr and artist George French Angas explored the South East naming Robe and doing the first surveys. Evelyn Sturt became the first to have an occupational license to squat and the first purchase freehold land near Mt Gambier which he did in 1847- a section of 77 acres when 80 acres was the norm. He left the district in 1854 selling his freehold land to Hastings Cunningham who in 1855 subdivided some of this land thus creating the town of Gambierton. The town lands were adjacent to the site of the first police station selected near what is now Cave Gardens by the government in 1845. A small bush inn also operated at this spot. The first streets were named after early locals such as Evelyn, Compton, Ferrers and Crouch (built the first general store before the town was created) streets etc. The town grew quickly because of the mild climate, fertile soils, plentiful water and the influx of settlers from across the border in what was to become the colony of Victoria. Cunningham himself was a great benefactor and donated land for the first school in 1856. In 1861 the town name was changed by act of parliament to Mt Gambier.

Unlike other areas of SA the South East was seen as paradise for pastoralists and the optimistic pastoralists flocked to the area with their flocks in 1845. The large runs locked up the land and prevented farmers from settling in the region except for the fertile lands around Mount Gambier. Here small scale farmers had small properties and grew potatoes, hops, and later had dairy cows as well as growing wheat and oats. Land acts in the early 1870s designed to break up the big runs only partially succeeded in the South East where most station owners bought up their lands freehold. It was after 1905 before the big pastoral estates were really broken up for farmers and closer settlement, except for near Mt Gambier. Apart from Evelyn Sturt the other early white settlers of the South East in 1845 were Alexander Cameron at Penola, John Robertson at Struan, William Macintosh and George Ormerod at Naracoorte, the Austin brothers at Yallum Park (later John Riddoch), the Arthur brothers (nephews of Governor Arthur of Van Diemen’s Land) at Mt Schanck( now Mt Schank) and the Leake brothers at Glencoe. In fact in 1845 nineteen leasehold runs were taken up in the South East with a further thirty runs in 1846 and most had several 80 acres sections of freehold land near the main homestead. Most had got to the South East from Casterton and Portland in Victoria as the swamps near the coast were too difficult to traverse except for the country near Robe. Many of the estates were huge. Evelyn Sturt on the Compton/Mt Gambier run had 85 square miles as well as his freehold land; Robertson had 135 square miles at Struan; George Glen (and William Vansittart) of Mayurra had 110 square miles; the SA Company had 159 square miles on the Benara run; the Leake brothers had 194 square miles on Glencoe; Hunter had 56 square miles on Kalangadoo; Neil Black of Noorat Victoria had 45 square miles on Kongorong run and 101 square miles at Port MacDonnell and the Arthur brothers had a huge run at Mt Schanck. By 1851 almost 5,000 square miles of the South East was occupied by Occupational License and most licenses were converted to 14 year leases in that year. A third of all leasehold land in SA was taken up in the South East because of its higher rainfall and suitability for pastoralism and a third of all sheep in the colony were in the South East. When Hundreds were declared in the South East in the late 1850s and early 1860s pastoralists bought up the land. In one case John Riddoch of Yallum Park owned the entire Hundred of Monbulla. Another pastoralist W. Clarke who had purchased Mt Schancke station from the Arthur brothers in 1861 owned SA land valued at £1.25 million when he died in 1874 and he had 120,000 acres freehold in Victoria, 75,000 acres freehold in SA( Mt Schank) and 50,000 acres freehold in each of NSW and Tasmania! Mt Schanck was changed in Schank in 1917 when German place names in SA were changed as Schank without the second “c” is an old English name!

In the 1850s Mt Gambier was a shanty village as the South East was a region of large pastoral estates and little agricultural farming and very low population numbers. It was far from Adelaide and remote and it was only after the Princeland episode in 1862 with the threat of possible secession to a new state that the Adelaide government began to invest in the South East and encourage settlement there. The Border Watch newspaper was established in 1861, the Mt Gambier Hotel opened in 1862 and the Mt Gambier Council was formed in 1863.By the early 1860s Mt Gambier had almost 1,000 residents making it one of the largest towns in SA after the copper mining centres of Burra, Kadina and Moonta. By the 1881 SA census Mt Gambier had 2,500 residents making it the biggest town outside of Adelaide. In 1865 four iconic historic buildings were erected-the Courthouse, the Gaol, Christ Church Anglican and the Post Office and Telegraph Station. The flourmill which later became the Oat Mill opened in 1867 as wheat farmers had now taken up lands around the Mount. Mt Gambier was growing into a fine prosperous looking town with churches, stores, banks, hotels and fine residences. In the 1870s the rural population increased dramatically with tenant potato farmers on Browne’s Moorak estate and intensive hop growing in several localities such as Yahl and OB Flat and Glenburnie etc. Also in 1876 the first commercial forestry was started at the behest of George Goyder. A tree nursery was established on the edge of Leg of Mutton Lake in 1876 on a site selected by George Goyder himself. A stone cottage for the first nurseryman Charles Beale was constructed and it survived until demolished in 1969 but the nursery closed in 1929. The nursery propagated eucalypts, Oak, Elm, Ash, Sycamore, and North American pines. Pinus radiata was first grown at Leg of Mutton Lake and was being dispersed to other areas by 1878. Pinus canariensis was also grown in the 1880s. Pinus radiata is now the most commonly grown commercial forest tree in SA and Australia. Also in the 1870s the first hospital was erected and Dr Wehl, the town’s doctor for many years was in residence.

In the mid 1880s the first rail line was laid as the railway lines pushed out from Mt Gambier to Naracoorte. The service to Naracoorte began in 1887 and connected on with the line to Bordertown and Adelaide. By 1897 a railway connected Mt Gambier to Millicent and the port at Beachport. The railway line across the border to Heywood and Melbourne was not completed until 1917 as the SA government resisted a line that would take goods and passengers from Mt Gambier to Port Melbourne rather than to Port Adelaide. Mt Gambier railway station used to be a hive of activity with daily trains to Adelaide and an overnight sleeper services several times a week. Passenger trains to Mt Gambier from Adelaide stopped in 1990 after Australian National took over the SA railway network. Freight services stopped in 1995 and the railway line and station was formally closed. The railyards and other buildings were cleared in 2013.

Posted by denisbin on 2015-01-28 23:15:50

Tagged: , Mount Gambier , Mt Gambier , mansion , historic house , Llandovery , agapanthus , tree ferns , garden , Italianate , house , symmetry

www.000webhost.com